For the Love of Apple Pie!
Not all pies are created equal. Do you ever find yourself craving a good ‘ol fashioned piece of apple pie only to be stopped by the guilt of eating “bad”? Sooner or later, the craving may win so when it does – try this delicious organic, whole wheat, wholesome apple pie!
- Organic Whole Wheat pie shell (can be found at Natural Grocery stores like Sprouts)
- 5 medium organic apples
- 1/2 C non-hydrogenated margerine
- 3/4 C brown sugar
- 2/3 C whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 C chopped walnuts
- 1/4 C oats
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Peel, core and slice apples and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Place apples in pie shell on baking sheet.
- Place butter in bowl and let soften.
- In a separate bowl, mix sugar, flour and cinnamon.
- Add above mixture to butter and fork together until crumbly.
- Add walnuts and oats to mixture and combine.
- Pour mixture over apples.
- Tent the pie with aluminum foil and place in the oven.
- Bake 40 minutes.
- Remove tent foil and bake an additional 5 minutes.
Delicious when served warm!